POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Need help with Avi setting! : Re: Need help with Avi setting! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with Avi setting!
From: C J
Date: 5 Sep 2000 15:20:42
Message: <39b5478a$1@news.povray.org>
If memory serves me right (always a gamble with me...). A  "Key Frame Rate"
is a method of creating variable animation speeds in an animation. For
example, lets you have 3 key frames (A, B, C) and 30 frames. From frame A to
B you have 20 frames and from B to C you have 10 frames. So when you play If
the "key frame rate" is 3 key frames a sec, then  animation will play faster
over A to B, than it will from B to C. Because A-B has more frames to play
in the same time as B-C...

I hope this is right because it has been a couple of years since I read
anything on the subject, let alone done anything with it....

I hope that helps
C. J. - POV User
POV Ray Study Gallery
www.crosswinds.net/~povstudy

Rene <rhe### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> The term "frame rate" I understand, but what exactly is "key frame rate" ?
If I
> use different settings for "key frame rate", for example 1 or 10 and keep
the
> "frame rate" set at 20 per second for instance the speed of the animation
stays
> the same of course. So what does it do?
> What about data rate?
> Any other ideas about the avi compression.... what codec settings are
best?

> Thanks.
> Rene
>

> "C.J. - POV User" schrieb:
>
> > Bink is better for mpeg quality animations/movies.
> > Frame rate is the number of frames that are displayed per second. Think
of a
> > flip book. You know the little books that have an image on each corner
of
> > the page. Each images is slightly different (i.e. the location of an arm
or
> > leg, a frown turning to a smaile, etc...) Well if you flip the pages and
> > look at the images, the images seem to come alive, or animate. The
faster
> > you flip the pages the faster the animation runs. This is the same idea
of a
> > frame rate...
> >
> > Hope that helps
> > regards,
> >
> > Rene <rhe### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > > I've tried Smaker too. If I create an AVI there are the same options
> > choose
> > > from. Can somebody explain to me what exactly key frame rate and data
rate
> > > options do? Smaker and Bink look very interesting but I don't really
like
> > the
> > > advertisement at the end of the movie and I really need a format that
will
> > run
> > > from a CD on (almost) ANY system (OK I could make an exe... I agree...
> > great
> > > option...but...).
> > >
> > > (By the way what are the differences and advantages between Smaker and
> > Bink
> > > formats? Which one is better for gray scale animations and which for
> > color?)
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help!
> > >
> > > Rene

> > all